Re-branding Scottish Jazz
Imagine the delight when Noble Ox was awarded the Creative Scotland tender to work with the Scottish Jazz Federation. It was a major marketing and audience development project. Our general enthusiasm and ten years’ experience of ‘coal face’ arts marketing experience stood Noble Ox in good stead.
Noble Ox brief
To meet the tender requirements the recommended Noble Ox approach was to meet the following objectives:
- Project scoping and definition to clarify brief, agreed approach, timescales and budgets
- Brand Definition including creation of Brand DNA tool and presentation
- Creation of a strong, hard-working Visual Identity to flow from and reflect Brand DNA
- Development of Audience Development & Marketing Action Plan to include new initiatives for promoting jazz
- Delivery of the action plan to maximise sales including individual campaign delivery and venue support
- Ongoing evaluation of brand and marketing initiatives with key partners, including qualitative research
- Development and delivery of final report with future recommendations
The Noble Ox to do list included:
- Brand workshop – followed by creation of Brand DNA to underpin and shape the project
- Visual Identity – logo and encompassing look and feel
- Strategy planning and delivery – on and offline activity including website, tour print and advertising
- Venue support on the ground – providing the marketing toolkit and day to day venue support
- Final project review and recommendations to inform future policy
Welcome to the J-Word
The project started in September 2012 and was a challenge on many levels: from herding Scotland’s Jazz cats, to breaking free of the cerebral, beard-stroking, polo-neck wearing, jazz stereotype that can alienate the rest of us!
What is your favourite four letter word? For this project it had to be JAZZ. Not only does it look great with its jaunty J and zesty double ZZ, it sounds great and can mean so many things…
The J-Word included two pilot tours showcasing the best International and Scottish jazz and celebrating a new collaboration of leading venues committed to sharing the best live music in the world. The J-Word toured to Inverness, Perth, Aberdeen, Glenrothes, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Gateshead in March-May 2013.
“From the outset it was clear that Noble Ox was the only agency for the job. The J-word was an ambitious, multi-layered project involving a complex brief, crazy timescales and many stakeholders.
“It was also a pilot project funded by Creative Scotland and under the microscope. Noble Ox kick started and kept momentum throughout; Charlotte led the process with dedication and clear decision-making, whilst giving us the fresh perspective and creativity that was so needed.
“Noble Ox’s support of the project was comprehensive and professional yet down to earth; Charlotte was just great to work with!”
Cathie Rae – Director, Scottish Jazz Federation